Sunday, February 25, 2007

Some thanks, some news, and a rant

This is a long one. Stay with me, it's all really good stuff!

The Thanks
First of all, I'd like to echo was Dave said in the previous post. That was one of the coolest things ever done for us down here. I know that in a few years, I'll be having pizza and wings delivered to our successors. Class of '92, whoever you are, you made our day. The way it happened was pretty funny, too. I was about to take a little evening siesta when we hear some honking from the top of the steps. Then, a voice yells down, and here is the abridged conversation to the best of my recollection:
Delivery guy: Someone order food down here?
(I pop my head out)
Me: I don't think so. What is it and who ordered it?
Delivery guy: It says here for Dave Griffiths
Me: Really? He's not even here right now, let me call him.
(I gave a call to Dave, but he was working at the station and couldn't answer his phone)
Delivery guy: It also says "Love, class of '92" and it's paid for.
Me: OK I'LL SIGN FOR IT!
(Delivery guy proceeds to unload 5 pizzas and what looks like about 6 dozen wings from the truck)

And there was much rejoicing. My best guess, and tell me if I'm
right, is that you put Dave's name on it because my name was the only other full name on the blog, but it's pretty difficult to say.

This made our day. Thanks Class of '92

Anyway, thanks again whoever sent us down that delectable feast. We'll surely be doing to same for the next generation of Orange fans.

The News
Yesterday was a really good day. Aside from the food delivered by the Class of '92, we had another awesome event: a visit from Otto!

I was just getting back from the gym and about to go into my tent when Otto's face creeped around the corner (and scared the bejeesus out of me). After I was done screaming in terror, I realized who it was and yelled for everyone to come out of their tents.

Otto and some of his crew entertained us and also gave us some hot chocolate. We took some pics, Otto did the patented roll into the Green Tent a few times, and they were off. Totally sweet, thanks Otto!


Dave and Otto enjoying some hot chocolate.

The Rant
There's an article on ESPN.com about some Duke students camping out for the Duke v. UNC women's game happening today. Now, let me make this clear: I understand that this article is primarily about the equal ground and respect that women's sports are getting at Universities, and I agree that it is a great thing and will not take anything away from women's sports.

What irks me about this story and others like it is the attenti
on given to the "harsh conditions" the Cameron Crazies endure, and all attempts I've made to get us some publicity goes south (pun intended).

You've seen them before, articles talking about students fighting through the weather, true supporters of their team. Well, that same weather is the reason why the
Krzyzewskiville phenomenon is possible.

Are they really enduring harsh conditions, as these reporters say? K-Ville is equipped with power outlets and both wired and wireless internet. The area they camp on is nicely finished grass, and if temperatures drop below freezing, line monitors can call a grace period - a time that everyone gets to return to the warmth but retain their place in line. Not to mention that during the day, 1 person can sit in line to represent a group of 12.

Grace periods!? Otto's Army would've had 4 days of grace this week that we've been out here.

Left: Durham. Right: Syracuse. Note that the height of the columns is relative.

And what we'd give for some grass! We have our tents set up on frigid concrete in the crevices of the Carrier Dome - not out of choice over a grassy area, but out of necessity, as every area with grass also has a few feet of snow on top of it.

I guess there are some advantages to being below ground level near the gates: if you set up your tent just right, you can avoid the whirling winds that often bring the "feels like" temperature to -10F or lower.

My message to the national media: get a clue. What Duke students do, while impressive in their sheer numbers, should be at least looked at with a critical eye or compared with other schools once in a while.

Or, I'd be happy if you returned my attempted contacts and talked about us just once. If 40-some students camping out in North Carolina is newsworthy, 20-some students camping for a week in Syracuse is, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad the food was appreciated. I think it is awesome that you guys have been posted up for almost week now. Cosmo's wouldn't deliver without a name and Dave was the only one I could find while on the phone.

HUGE game tomorrow. Have fun.

GB 1992